May Day – Sunday 1st of May – has its roots in Anglo-Saxon traditions as well as the pagan festival Beltane and marks the beginning of summer. So just ignore the weather, get your flower crowns, cargo shorts and flip flops out and welcome the warmer season with a bang this weekend. We give you an overview of the best bits to see and do this Saturday and Sunday.
Saturday, 30th April
- 10am-5pm Leith Market: Every Saturday in Leith’s Dock Place a little market is held. While it has grown in size and is quite a big market now, it caters for all types of foodies with a favour for local produce. Come with an empty stomach and get ready to try all the samples. Entry is free.
- 12.15pm St Giles’ Cathedral Lunchtime Concert: A true oasis on Edinburgh’s Royal Mile, St Giles’ Cathedral is home to an institution: the lunchtime concert. Take a break from everyday life and listen to soft piano music by Alexander Chapman Campbell this Saturday. Free event but donations are welcome.
- 12pm-5pm Grassmarket Vintage Fair: Edinburgh’s historic Grassmarket area is welcoming its very own Vintage extravaganza with vintage cars, vintage entertainment and vintage fashion of course. With local boutiques such as Armstrongs and Godiva it promises to be big. The event is also on Sunday 12pm-5pm. Find out more on the Facebook event. Free event
- 12pm-10pm The Pitt Street Market: And another not-to-be-missed event for Edinburgh’s food and drink lovers in cosy Pitt Street – a feast for your taste buds and your ears with live music. Entry is free.
- 8pm Beltane Fire Festival: Imagine a hill in the middle of the city – Calton Hill in this case – barely lit by torches and fires, muffled drums and a lot of magical creatures dancing. This is how Beltane Fire Festival might look to an unknowing outsider… but it’s much more than that. Read more about it and see it for yourself this Saturday. Tickets can be purchased from the gates for £10 or in advance over Tickets Scotland.
Sunday, 1st May
- 12pm-late The Old Town Street Food Festival: Live music and good food in The Three Sisters’ beer garden which has been voted one of the 10 best in Edinburgh. Free entry.
- 1pm-10pm Gumball 3000 Rally: If you’re into fancy and noisy cars, this is for you. The prestigious Gumball 3000 Rally is coming to Edinburgh’s Princes Street. The event is starting at 1pm with lots of family entertainment and the cars arrive from 6pm. Find out more on the Facebook event. Free event.
- 4pm-1am All Dayer Music & BBQ Summer Rooftop Sessions: For everyone who has Monday off work and likes Funk Soul Disco Boogie House this night might be something exciting to attend. And if you’re not convinced yet, we are just letting you know that the event is held on one of the most beautiful rooftop bars in Edinburgh with magnificent views of the castle. Tickets are £20 not including BBQ.